Canyon River Hat and Scarf Patterns

Canyon River Hat and Scarf Patterns

Postby doobee60 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:44 pm

I have been trying to make the Edgewater Hat for 2 days now and the LRC has totally got me stumped. The version of these that I got from Annie's Attic is 1H. The LRC states: up sk next 3 post sts, fptr around next post st, working over fptr just made, fptr around first skipped post st, fptr around 2nd skipped post st, fptr around 3rd skipped post st.
Working from right to left, I fptr into st4, st1, st2, st3 with 1,2,3 on top of 4 and what I end up with up with is all fptr. There is no resemblance to the photo of this hat whatsoever. Is there an issue with the description of this stitch in my version of these patterns?
doobee60
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Cash on hand: 2.57

Re: Canyon River Hat and Scarf Patterns

Postby carolyn60 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:52 am

doobee60 wrote:I have been trying to make the Edgewater Hat for 2 days now and the LRC has totally got me stumped. The version of these that I got from Annie's Attic is 1H. The LRC states: up sk next 3 post sts, fptr around next post st, working over fptr just made, fptr around first skipped post st, fptr around 2nd skipped post st, fptr around 3rd skipped post st.
Working from right to left, I fptr into st4, st1, st2, st3 with 1,2,3 on top of 4 and what I end up with up with is all fptr. There is no resemblance to the photo of this hat whatsoever. Is there an issue with the description of this stitch in my version of these patterns?

Hi doobee60, I'm sorry that you are having problems with this. if you did the stitch as written (that which is highlighted in blue)you will end up with 4 fptr. The part that I highlighted in red is just added instruction to clarify how the fptr are lined up.

You won't see any "cable" look until you do a few more rounds of cable stitches which will be worked into those that you have just done. It sounds like you are doing just fine so far, so continue on and see how the cables form. It is a lovely hat and once you get the cables down, you may find that you become addicted to making them as I have.

Let us know if you have any other questions. :D
Carolyn
carolyn60

Cash on hand: 7,262.89
Bank: 69.47

Postby doobee60 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:15 am

As you can see from the photo of the hat, the cables between the popcorns are horizontal to the crown. When I do these stitches I end up with vertical to the crown fptrs with the first one crossed behind the others. I have done up to 15 rows and that is how it always comes out. The photo looks like the 2-4 fptrs should be done behind the first one.
The LRC states: sk next 3 post sts, fptr around next post st, working over fptr just made, fptr around first skipped post st, fptr around 2nd skipped post st, fptr around 3rd skipped post st.
Working from right to left, I fptr into st4, st1, st2, st3 with 1,2,3 on top of 4 and what I end up with up with is all fptr .

The blue is copied directly from the stitches section of the pattern and the red is how I am doing the stitch.
I have been unable to locate this LRC or the SRC stitch anywhere to see what I may be doing wrong or if the instruction for the stitch in the version of the pattern I have is incorrect.
doobee60
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Cash on hand: 2.57

Postby nicolep » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:47 am

My copy of the pattern lists the definition of LRC the same way as it appears on your pattern with "over". Can you post a picture of what you have so far? Maybe seeing it will help us figure out if there is a problem with the pattern. It has been a few months since I made this so I can't remember exactly how I made that particular cable. When I get home, I'll try to work up a bit of it if no one else has posted an answer for you.

Sorry you're having a problem with this one. We'll do everything we can to get it solved. :)
Nicole
nicolep

Cash on hand: 3,042.77
Bank: 0.00

Postby mrsmhill » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:41 am

I will have to look at mine when I get home but you are right that the stitches go over the first fptr made. Carolyn's right -do the secord fptr over the fouth fptr to the first skipped st(farther from the first fptr) then continue closer with the next one and then the third one will be right next to the first one you did. The brim looks right to me. Did you see the stitch diagram?
Hope I did not confuse you and we will be here for you.
Marg
Last edited by mrsmhill on Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrsmhill

Cash on hand: 6,134.96
Bank: 884.12

Postby mrsmhill » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:55 am

Pictures sometimes don't show up the details. The cable does seem to look different compared to the body and the brim on the picture but it is still the same pattern. You have to put that first fptr behind the other ones. My hat on the side does look like the picture, as well as the brim. It is hard to tell about the other ones. Maybe I am missing what you are trying to say.
Marg
mrsmhill

Cash on hand: 6,134.96
Bank: 884.12

Postby Tewie » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:28 pm

I am having trouble with the next part of row four. It says "work LRC using nex 4 post sts" that part I get, but then it says "fpdc around next fpdc, working behind the fpdc just made" So does this mean I am working this fpdc on post number four or number five?
Tewie
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Cash on hand: 0.55

Postby carolyn60 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:17 pm

Tewie wrote:I am having trouble with the next part of row four. It says "work LRC using nex 4 post sts" that part I get, but then it says "fpdc around next fpdc, working behind the fpdc just made" So does this mean I am working this fpdc on post number four or number five?

The next fpdc will be done around the 6th stitch. (1st st was a sc, the next 4 stitches make up the LRC, so the next stitch will be a fpdc and a sc). You will do the fpdc around the post of stitch #6, then you will put a sc into the top of thatsame stitch as you work behind the fpdc to get to it. Just to let you know, it is rather awkward to put the sc into that stitch until you get the hang of it. :D
Carolyn
carolyn60

Cash on hand: 7,262.89
Bank: 69.47

Postby jeaanine » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:49 am

I've been trying for 2 days also two make these hats and I'm am stumped. This is the first pattern that has stumped me to the point that I want to just trash it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but the hat doesn't look like a hat at all. Could someone help me with this pattern. I'm doing the stonehill pattern and just can't get it right at all
jeaanine
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Cash on hand: 0.00

Postby Lisa » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:55 pm

Hello Jeaanine :)

Hopefully we can get you on the right track or find out what is going on. At the beginning, it will look a little bunched up and not too much like a hat. When you get going on the Body, it starts to shine and the pattern really pops :)

How are all the stitches working? Are you able to complete rnd or are you ending up with leftover stitches? Are there any issues of where to work certain stitches? How far into the pattern are you? Also, is it a particular Rnd that has you stumped, or is it just the look of the whole pattern so far? Are you able to post a photo of what you have so far?

Sorry for so many questions but as much detail as you can give would be great :)

Lisa
Lisa
Absent Minded Designer
Absent Minded Designer

Cash on hand: 24,256.55
Bank: 378.79

Next

Return to Canyon River Cable Hats