help with midsummer nights shawl

help with midsummer nights shawl

Postby Eressea » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:29 am

Hello! I just registered to ask for some help... I've started the Midsummer Nights shawl, but it doesn't look like it's supposed to be... Here it is (row 1-9):

(Click Here for a bigger picture.

Well, there aren't any flowers... it doesn't look like all the other projects I spotted on Ravelry (I've spend yesterday the evening staring at them and figuring out what I did wrong). I followed the chart entirely, I scanned the chart from the magazine to my Ipad so I could zoom in to see all the little arrows, and literally made no stitch without looking at the chart beside me. But I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! I'm gonna give it one more try, using only the instruction (I'm Dutch, so I'm really not fond of English instructions - especially after an excruciating 20 hours I spend translating one perticular pattern), but I doubt it'll work, since the chart is totally correct. It must be something I'm missing. Can someone see what I do wrong, or maybe have experience with this fault and figured it out? I'm about to quit, which is such a shame since this is like my favorite project, ever. And it took me a long time to hunt down the magazine :P And the yarn, this is my third choice... :P And really, I should be able to do it, I'm quite experienced in crochet...

(By the way, in row 3-4 there is a tiny fault, I placed the CH5 wrong, but I fixed it in row 5-9 - I didn't rip it because I wasn't confident this was the fault, that proved to be true unfortunately :P)
Eressea
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Cash on hand: 0.00

Re: help with midsummer nights shawl

Postby Lisa » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:02 am

Hello dear :) Let' s see if we can figure out what is going on. Can you give me a closeup of some of the "flowers?" Just like a sample of 6 or so petals, so that I can see even more detail.
Lisa
Absent Minded Designer
Absent Minded Designer

Cash on hand: 24,256.55
Bank: 378.79

Postby Eressea » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:28 am

Thank you sooo much!!! I really hope you can tell what's going on... Here is a close up:

And here are some more, a little zoomed out (the first one is the same area as the photo above).

I don't know if it helps, but what I do is (aside from the beginning, middle and end): where there is a CH5, I put *treble cluster, CH7, treble cluster, CH7, treble cluster* in them - and when there's a flower, I put a *SC, CH5, SC* in the second CH7 of the flower in the row below.

Oh, and I use a lace weight cotton (360 yards, 50 gr) and crochet hook 4mm/H. Don't know if it's relevant, but perhaps it might be :) Thanks again!!

Edit: Photobucket is really slow lately, it can take a while for the pictures to load.
Eressea
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Postby Lisa » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:16 pm

I am going to study this while locating my copy of this pattern. This may take me a bit as I need to refresh myself to the pattern but I am sure we can figure out what is going on :) I will keep you posted. And the photos you posted are awesome, they will help greatly. I am also going to see if I can duplicate what you are getting by using some cotton thread I have as well.
Lisa
Absent Minded Designer
Absent Minded Designer

Postby Eressea » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:39 pm

Thank you sooo much! Please don't get into too much trouble for me, that isn't worth it ;) But if you could look at it, that would be great! I'm glad the pictures are OK, if there's anything you need, please ask! And take your time, I'm very patient :) I've subscribed to the thread, so I'll get a notice when you post something :) Thanks again!!!
Eressea
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Postby Nadine » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:00 pm

this is what you wrote...

where there is a CH5, I put *treble cluster, CH7, treble cluster, CH7, treble cluster* in them - and when there's a flower, I put a *SC, CH5, SC* in the second CH7 of the flower in the row below.

are you putting the (sc, ch 5, sc) in the second ch 7 space or in the first ch of the second ch 7 group (the group of 7 chain stitches after the second petal)?

it looks like you are working into the space which would throw off the design because the sc would move in the space and open wider rather than staying more of a tall oval, if that makes any sense.
Nadine

Cash on hand: 3,374.68
Bank: 4,213.15

Postby Eressea » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:10 am

Oh my... You're totally right! That's it!!! Can't believe I missed it... I looked at the written instructions, too, but somehow I overlooked it (maybe because it's only from row 4 - and my crochet-English isn't very good either). I've tried it, and it looks a lot better!!

Thank you soooo much, Nadine! And thanks again, Lisa, I'm really glad you won't have to dig into the pattern again, just for me... Though I really appreciate it that you would go through so much trouble for me!!!
Eressea
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Postby Lisa » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:48 pm

Nadine- thank you! You are a super lace lady! :)

I am so glad it is all worked out. I am still looking for a copy of that magazine issue, as mine I think I sent to someone and now I do not have any. So I am still on a lookout to have a copy of that pattern as it came out in the magazine.
Lisa
Absent Minded Designer
Absent Minded Designer

Postby Eressea » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:01 am

I'm almost done with the body :) After I took the previouw picture, I started again with a 3,5mm hook, that works much better! Can't post an image right now, got rid of my couch, so I can't pin it anywhere yet... oops! And I just found out the Midsummer's Night pattern is also available as downloadable PDF... After I did go through a lot of trouble to obtain a "real" magazine! Oops again! Ah well, at least I got the patterns of Dahlia and Maia this way now .

I have a scanned version of the pattern for my ipad (it's just your pattern, not the entire magazine, and my scanner isn't very good so the chart is a little fuzzy, but readable). If you want it, I can send it to you by email? It's 2 MB. I'd rather not give my email address on this public forum, but I can PM it to you if you like.
Eressea
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Postby Nadine » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:59 pm

Eressea,

So glad you are liking it! I can not wait to see it done!
Nadine

Cash on hand: 3,374.68
Bank: 4,213.15

Return to Midsummer Night Shawl