chain at end of row or start of next?

For questions and support for patterns that are not specific to a particular pattern. Also, announcements, tips, Crochet Garden style, etc listed.

chain at end of row or start of next?

Postby ines » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:36 am

I'm transitioning from beginner to low intermediate, and have this question: I'm using a crochet garden pattern, Honeybear haven Cardigan version 6 that I purchased from Crochet Garden. It calls for a chain at the end of rows, rather than what I'm used to, at the beginning of the next row. Does it make a difference?

I've searched the crochet garden and can't find the pattern listed as one that people have posted on.
ines
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Cash on hand: 0.00

Re: chain at end of row or start of next?

Postby Sfgwife » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:10 am

This won't make a difference in your finished object. You will find in crochet that some patterns will chain at the end of a row or at the beginning. If you are comfortable with one way then continue on doing it that way as it won't change the end result as long as you get those chains in there.

Some crochet paterns you will actually work a st into this turning chain but I don't think that is the case in this particular pattern. Personally I prefer to make my chains after turning because for me it is easier to work into that last st if I do it this way.

HTH. Congrats on trying new things in crochet and hope you continue to enjoy and grow in the craft. If you have anymore questions or concerns please feel free to ask away.
Nikki......... Mom of three rowdy boys and proud wife to special forces soldier.
Sfgwife

Cash on hand: 297.38

Postby carolyn60 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:36 pm

Sfgwife wrote:This won't make a difference in your finished object. You will find in crochet that some patterns will chain at the end of a row or at the beginning. If you are comfortable with one way then continue on doing it that way as it won't change the end result as long as you get those chains in there.

Some crochet paterns you will actually work a st into this turning chain but I don't think that is the case in this particular pattern. Personally I prefer to make my chains after turning because for me it is easier to work into that last st if I do it this way.

HTH. Congrats on trying new things in crochet and hope you continue to enjoy and grow in the craft. If you have anymore questions or concerns please feel free to ask away.

What she said! :mrgreen:
Carolyn
carolyn60

Cash on hand: 7,262.89
Bank: 69.47

Postby Lisa » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:35 am

How is it going with the chaining? Can you let me know what row you were speaking of? I am curious as normally I do make the chain at the beginning, so wondering if this is pertaining to something else, that the chain may have a different purpose. Thank you!
Lisa
Absent Minded Designer
Absent Minded Designer

Cash on hand: 24,256.55
Bank: 378.79

Return to GENERAL SUPPORT LOUNGE