Avalanche

Avalanche

Postby lizberry81 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:37 pm

I could really use some help with Avalanche... specifically row 4 of the brim. I've tried rewriting it to where each element is on it's own line, I've tried circling the repeat section, highlighting... I've probably ripped it out and redone it at least 1/2 a dozen times and no matter what I just can't get the count to come out right. The previous row's stitch count comes out right so I know my mistake isn't there.

Can someone help me figure out a better way to envision this row so that I can "get it"? It's really frustrating to have rocked along so steadily and now - with the end in sight - I'm stuck.

thanks,
liz
lizberry81
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Cash on hand: 22.20

Re: Avalanche

Postby mrsmhill » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:54 am

The number of stitches are the same in the previous row. You must have counted what you should have at the end-8 pc, 36 fpdc, 28 bpdc? Is there something missimg there?
I think you need to do :
*fpdc around post of next dc, bpdc (see Stitches) around post of next dc, [fpdc around post of next dc, bpdc around post of next dc] 2 times, fpdc around post of next dc, pc in next sc, fpdc around post of next dc, [bpdc around post of next dc, fpdc around post of next dc] 3 times, pc in next dc, fpdc around post of next dc**, bpdc around post of next dc, rep from * -3 times from * to * , then one time from * to **. This should give you the right count. Of course do the ch 2 first and sl st to it at the end. I am doing this mentally, so please tell me how it works out for you. I hope you understand what I purpose.

Marg
mrsmhill

Cash on hand: 6,134.96
Bank: 884.12

Postby lizberry81 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:19 am

No. It's the way that part is written that is giving me problems so seeing it written like that again doesn't really help.

Basically, I guess I'm just looking for the stitch count between the popcorns. Is it 7 or 8 or does it change? Depending on how I do it, it either comes out with 8 at the first and 7 in between throughout which is how I end up with space for a 9th popcorn or it alternates. It seems like it should be 8 stitches between the popcorns throughout as there were 8 stitches in between them on the previous line.
lizberry81
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Cash on hand: 22.20

Postby carolyn60 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:47 am

I have often had problems when I need to do post stitches combined with either popcorns or sc sts. I find that I am usually either putting 2 sts in the same st, or missing a stitch. The way I was able to overcome this problem was to use stitch markers to mark the stitches in the series (ie: bpdc, fpdc, pc, fpdc, bpdc). If I marked those 5 stitches, it made it so much easier to make sure that I wasn't using the same stitch or missing one.

There should be 7 stitches between the popcorns.

If that doesn't help, we'll try to figure out something else. This really is a lovely hat and also so nice and warm.
Carolyn
carolyn60

Cash on hand: 7,262.89
Bank: 69.47

Postby Tralee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:10 am

Can you tell me what version you are working from? Mine is version 1D and I am a bit confused. Is your rnd 3( 72 dc)?
Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.(I Corinthians 10:31 KJV)
Tralee

Cash on hand: 1,495.68
Bank: 0.00

Postby Tralee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:28 am

Are you remembering to turn on this rnd? The first ch2 counts as your first fpdc. You should be getting 9 repeats of fpdc,bpdc,fpdc,bpdc,fpdc,bpdc,fpdc,pc. Lisa will have to check the stitch count to see if it should be 9pc,36fpdc,27bpdc

Mine could just be an old version from testing. I'm not sure what yours might say.
Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.(I Corinthians 10:31 KJV)
Tralee

Postby carolyn60 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:01 am

You are also right, Tralee. Looking at the stitch count again, you should have 9 post sts between one set of popcorns, and 7 post sts between the next.

I am also working from Ver 1d.
Carolyn
carolyn60

Cash on hand: 7,262.89
Bank: 69.47

Postby mrsmhill » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:04 pm

Just back for lunch. My version is 6e. I just tested a revised version of this pattern in June of 2010. I am not sure if I have the old version I bought.
For some reason my one message does not appear. Maybe I forgot to hit submit because I had to go to work :mrgreen:
I have seven stitches between the pcs as Tralee states-fpdc,bpdc,fpdc,bpdc,fpdc,bpdc,fpdc. Rnd 3 is all dcs around ending with 72 stitches.
Marg
mrsmhill

Postby mrsmhill » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:45 pm

I think the * has to be moved in order for it to make sense
Rnd 4 (WS): Ch 2 (Counts as bpdc, now and throughout), fpdc around post of next dc, bpdc (see Stitches) around post of next dc, *[fpdc around post of next dc, bpdc around post of next dc] 2 times, fpdc around post of next dc, pc in next sc, fpdc around post of next dc, [bpdc around post of next dc, fpdc around post of next dc] 3 times, pc in next dc, fpdc around post of next dc**, bpdc around post of next dc, rep from * around ending last rep at **; join with sl st to top of ch-2. Do not turn––8 pc, 36 fpdc, 28 bpdc
I am not sure if this gives the right count. The model I did I gave away :( Did not catch this but Tralee is right about seven sts and then a pc. Maybe Lisa can tell us if we are going in the right direction. Do not have time to check it out.
Marg
mrsmhill

Postby Tralee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:47 pm

OK, this rnd definitely has an error somewhere. The first section would have 8 post stitches before the pc, then 7 post stitches,pc, then 7 post stitches, pc,etc. So, we just need to see what Lisa had intended here. Sorry.
Tralee

Next

Return to Rugged Mountain Hat Collection