Ruffled sunhat

Ruffled sunhat

Postby cathy24 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:09 am

Hi

Is there anyone on this forum that has made this, I'm really having trouble trying to figure our row 33 where it says to work on the 4 ch on the row below. I don't know what I'm supposed be picking up ,and do you do the dc combo on each 4 stitches or do you work on them individually.

My cotton that I'm using I believe is Southmaid, so the hat is a very small size.

Is there someone on here that has made this hat and is willing to explain just what I am suppose to do, I would so much appreciate. your help.

Thanks

Cathrin
cathy24

Cash on hand: 257.31

Re: Ruffled sunhat

Postby carolyn60 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:31 am

cathy24 wrote:Hi

Is there anyone on this forum that has made this, I'm really having trouble trying to figure our row 33 where it says to work on the 4 ch on the row below. I don't know what I'm supposed be picking up ,and do you do the dc combo on each 4 stitches or do you work on them individually.

My cotton that I'm using I believe is Southmaid, so the hat is a very small size.

Is there someone on here that has made this hat and is willing to explain just what I am suppose to do, I would so much appreciate. your help.

Thanks

Cathrin

Rnd 32: Each "hill" is made up of a set of 7 loops. Reattach thread with sl st in the "tip" of any "hill," which would be the 4th loop of any 7 loop set. Ch 1, sc same st, ch 4, sc in next loop, ch 4, (insert hook from front to back of next loop, SKIP THE NEXT 2 LOOPS, then insert hook from back to front of next loop, yo, and draw through both loop holes, yo and draw through 2 loops on hook) (sc-combo completed. *Ch4, (sc in next loop, ch 4) 3 times, sc-combo, ch4 rep from * around until last loop. Sc in last loop, ch 4, join with sl st to first sc. [100 ch-4 loops].

Rnd 33: Sl st next ch-4 sp, ch 1, sc same sp, (yo, insert hook into next ch-4 sp, then bring hook from back to front of next ch-4 sp, yo and draw loop through loop holes so there are 3 loops on hook. (yo, draw through 2 loops) twice) dc-combo completed., sc in next ch-4 sp, ch 5, *sc in next ch-4 sp, dc-combo, sc in next ch-4 sp chain 5. Rep from * around; join with sl st to first sc. [25 ch-5 spaces].

Hi Cathrin=

Sorry that you are still having problems with the pattern. I copied Rnds 32 and 33 above. In Rnd 33 you make a ch-4 sp by doing a "sc (or sc-combo) ch 4, sc. At the end of Rnd 32 you should have 100 ch-4 loops.
For Rnd 33, you will be working in those ch-4 lps or sps.

As far as your hat being very small, did you check your gauge to make sure that you were getting the right gauge? If it is too small, you may have needed to go up a size or two with your hook. Not everyone crochets with the same tension, so an occasional change in hook size may be required for some. It sounds as though you are moving along pretty well on this pattern. It is definitely not for beginners. You will have learned a lot of new techniques and stitches when you are done. :D

Hope this helps.

Carolyn
Carolyn
carolyn60

Cash on hand: 7,262.89
Bank: 69.47

Re: Ruffled sunhat

Postby cathy24 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:12 pm

Thanks so much, I believe I have figured the pattern out. Someone read the pattern to me and I crocheted as it was being read to me!!

As for the hat being to small, my gauge was right on the mark, but I think because I was very fine crochet cotton, the hat was looking like it would fit a preemie baby. Also, I had to many loops on row 31. I think that was the number of the row. Ishould have had 175 loops, and ended up over 200 of them little guys, so my looked very full with ruffles.

You're absolutley correct, I have learnt some new techiques by making this hat. I would like to make it in a thicker cotton, though, just to see how it would look.

Many, many thanks again

Cathrin :)
cathy24

Cash on hand: 257.31

Return to Darling Crocheted Ruffled Sunhat