Help joining rounds in borealis hat

Help joining rounds in borealis hat

Postby louisc » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:11 pm

I am a beginner, and I am having hard time figuring out exactly howto join the rounds in the borealis hat. I am ending up some strange looking slip stitches crossing over each other, and generally making a mess. (most of the rest looks great, and this really is an intriguing pattern.)

First issue: you join with a slip stitch into the first slip stich...do i put the hook through both loops of the first slip stitch? or use only one loop, depending upon which one will be used in the next round?

Second issue: when and how exactly do i switch colors? i have been pulling the new yarn through the first slip stitch but it doesn't seem to look right...maybe i should change on the last step of the previous stitch? and do i simply pull the new yarn through, or do i put it on the hook first with a slip knot?

Third issue: how do i carry unused colors? i know they should be on the wrong side, but with all the joining and turning i am not sure how to do that "gracefully"

It would be great if someone could post step by step photos, but any help or hints would be appreciated. I'm really looking forward to moving forward with my borealis hat and scarf.

thanks,
louis
louisc

Cash on hand: 0.65

Re: Help joining rounds in borealis hat

Postby Sfgwife » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:26 pm

First issue: you join with a slip stitch into the first slip stich...do i put the hook through both loops of the first slip stitch? or use only one loop, depending upon which one will be used in the next round?

you will sl st using what will come in the next round. ex if you are using flo in the next round you will only sl st into the flo of the last st

Second issue: when and how exactly do i switch colors? i have been pulling the new yarn through the first slip stitch but it doesn't seem to look right...maybe i should change on the last step of the previous stitch? and do i simply pull the new yarn through, or do i put it on the hook first with a slip knot?

Yes you will get to the last step of the st before changing colors and change over then. When adding new colors I just pull it through leaving a tail long enough to weave in and continue on with the new color. And then go back and weav in the ends later. The sl knot isn't necessary if you do it this way because you are weaving in that tail to secure it. Just remember to weave in for aprox 2 inches back and forth for a secure hold.

Third issue: how do i carry unused colors? i know they should be on the wrong side, but with all the joining and turning i am not sure how to do that "gracefully"

when I "drop" my colors I jusst pull them to the wrong side and make sure it is snug in between that first st. How I do this is I go through the st I am supposed to be in and before that yarn over to come back through I pull up all the "loose" threads I am carrying and finish my st. I didn't pick up those and carry into the st but let them "float" right in the middle of it. You will notice them only slightly this way.

Hope this helps and if it as clear as mud let us know and we will try to help a little more. Enjoy your new pattern and remember that we LOVE customer pictures in our Garden. :D
Nikki......... Mom of three rowdy boys and proud wife to special forces soldier.
Sfgwife

Cash on hand: 297.38

Postby Lisa » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:28 pm

Hi Louis :)

It can be quite tricky joining colors in a nice fashion. I know it took me a long time to get it and even yet I still often rip out.

It would be great if someone could post step by step photos, but any help or hints would be appreciated. I'm really looking forward to moving forward with my borealis hat and scarf.

I take it this is for the hat, since we are joining rnds. I joined into both loops of the first sl st. What I would do is insert my hook into both top lps of the sl st, and then instead of pulling the old color through to complete a sl st, I would pull the new color through.

Then what I would do is turn, and pull both strands, one of the new color and one of the old color to tighten.

As for carrying your yarn up, excellent questions! Since we are using sl st on numerous rows, it will not look graceful, since we have nothing to crochet over with. So what I did, was each hdc row, crochet over all unused strands, keeping them to the wrong side. I will see if I can find the hats and take some of the inside photos tomorrow for you.. My daughter has them around here somewhere :)

I will also see what I can do about posting some photos of how to join switching colors at same time :)
Lisa
Absent Minded Designer
Absent Minded Designer

Cash on hand: 24,256.55
Bank: 378.79

Postby Lisa » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:28 pm

lol Nikki we both posted at same time, I was like where did all of that purple come from?!? Had to get a second take there...

Louis, I now need to go through Nikki's post and see her way of doing.. she most likely has a better technique than me!
Lisa
Absent Minded Designer
Absent Minded Designer

Postby Lisa » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:31 pm

OH, PS if you decide to have a brim, make sure you switch all unused strands to the RS so they are hidden within the brim when it folds up.
Lisa
Absent Minded Designer
Absent Minded Designer

Postby louisc » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:41 pm

thanks for the excellent tips. i will try them and hopefully i will be able to post some pics of my own soon.
louisc

Cash on hand: 0.65

Return to Borealis