Moorish Mosaic Afghan - Square Motif?

Moorish Mosaic Afghan - Square Motif?

Postby iherdcats » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:43 am

I can't find a thread already dedicated to this pattern, so I'll post here and cross my fingers!

I fell in love with this pattern when it was published in Interweave a couple years ago, but I was just starting out crocheting at that point and didn't think I had the skill. Finally bought it a year ago from Crochet Garden, and got the yarn for the holidays a week ago. I've made one motif thus far, and it came out ok. I decided to make a square to make sure it matched up. And that's where I've been stuck...

Honestly, I'm having trouble in round 1 with the chain 5. If I treble in the second chain from the hook (as indicated) there's not enough height to get a proper treble. Moving on from there, once I have 19 trebles in that chain, where do I slip stitch? Do I flip the extra chains "up" and slip into what was the first chain? Does that make any sense?

Then, my biggest problem comes in round 2. At the end of that round, I end with the (2 hdc, dc, 2hdc) to create the fourth corner, but it creates a HUGE gap in my trebles in round 1.

I have even tried modifying the directions to something I'm more familiar with (i.e. chain 4, slip to form ring, ch 3 for 1st treble, 19 treble in ring), but I still got the HUGE gap in the trebles because of the end of round 2.

I must be doing something very wrong! Can anyone help?!
iherdcats
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Cash on hand: 19.18

Re: Moorish Mosaic Afghan - Square Motif?

Postby carolyn60 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:31 am

I'll go take a look at the pattern and get back to you in a bit. :D
Carolyn
carolyn60

Cash on hand: 7,262.89
Bank: 69.47

Postby carolyn60 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:08 pm

First of all, I pretty sure that you caught an error in the pattern. :D Rather than putting 19 tr in the 2nd chain from the hook, they should go in the 5th chain from the hook. I can imagine your frustration in trying to get those trebles to work. The chain 5 that you started with counts as a treble, so you should have a total of 20 treble stitches. You will join with a sl st to the top of the ch-5 that you started with which will make much more sense after you put your trebles in the right chain.

I'm pretty sure your problems with Rnd 2 are related to not getting Rnd 1 right. I am attaching a couple of pictures that show you what your piece should look like after Rnd 1 and again after Rnd 2.

Let us know if you continue to have problems with this! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carolyn
carolyn60

Postby iherdcats » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:50 am

Gah! That makes so much sense, and I can't believe I didn't try that on my own since I tried just about everything else! Thanks so much! Off to whip up a square!
iherdcats
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Postby malca » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:25 am

here she to come to save the day ===

CAROLYN - now ya know why we love you -- you always come thru
malca
visit joanns at http://tinyurl.com/JOANNS
malca

Cash on hand: 3,922.37
Bank: 1,089.41

Postby carolyn60 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:50 am

Glad to help! This is a gorgeous afghan. Hope you share your completed afghan with us. :D
Carolyn
carolyn60

Postby iherdcats » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:57 am

So I tested the fix by stitching rounds 1 and 2, and I still have a big gap in between treble 19 and the chain-5 treble. But, I found that if I pull on the ends (from round one and from the color change) that I can make it smaller. I might try slip stitching over a few stitches at the beginning of round two so that the last (hdc, hdc, dc, hdc, hdc) doesn't get stitched in to that space. We'll see! Hopefully it will be passable either way...

I LOVE this pattern and have thought about it for two years. I finally found the right colors, and I can't wait for it to be finished! I will definitely share pics!

Thanks so much for your help!
iherdcats
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Postby malca » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:45 am

iherdcats wrote: But, I found that if I pull on the ends (from round one and from the color change) that I can make it smaller. I might try slip stitching over a few stitches at the beginning of round two so that the last (hdc, hdc, dc, hdc, hdc) doesn't get stitched in to that space. We'll see! Hopefully it will be passable either way...

try making your beg ch sts tighter - might help as well
malca
visit joanns at http://tinyurl.com/JOANNS
malca

Cash on hand: 3,922.37
Bank: 1,089.41

Postby Wynne136 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:59 am

This Afghan is absolutely the most beautiful afghan I've seen and the pattern is the most poorly written one I've ever come across. I'm convinced that it wasn't actually tested before publication. Also, I'm not a real advocate of using markers instead of counting the actual stitches because if you miss a stitch in the row before, the next row does not come out even.

I found 2 errors in the Triangle motif pattern. The first is the same as in the square mentioned before, you should TC in 5th chain from hook instead of 2nd chain from hook. Row 2 you end up with 17 total stitches... but in Row 3 she uses only 15 stitches, so in row 3 where you do "sc in next 6 sc", it should actually be " sc in next 7 sc" to use all 17 stitches. In Row 4 you do 2 sc in first sc, then she says sc to the marker. That should be "2 sc in first sc, sc in next 9 sc, 3 sc in nect sc, sc in next 9 sc, 2 sc in last sc, total of 25 stitches. In row 5, it is a repeat of row 4 except you replace the 9 with an 11 and you get 29 total stitches and Row 5 is also a repeat of 4, replacing the 9 with a 13 for a total of 33 stitches. This way it comes out beautiful.

Again, this is a beautiful pattern and I am determined to make it!!
Wynne136
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Cash on hand: 0.00

Postby Lisa » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:03 pm

Hello Wynne,

I am the designer of this afghan and I am terribly sorry for your trouble. I do put all my patterns through a testing process here on the forum. Unfortunately, this looks like this one may have had a few issues between versions because it was purchased by Interweave Crochet. Their tech editors change things, and files are exchanged back and forth. It looks like you may have received an older version or that a version was not updated properly.

I am truly sorry for your frustration as I definitely take a lot of care and pride in writing patterns and making sure they are released as best they can be. It looks like this one fell through the cracks per se. I really appreciate you bringing up these errors and I will be checking through all the venues this pattern is posted making sure the proper version is posted.

Lisa
Lisa
Absent Minded Designer
Absent Minded Designer

Cash on hand: 24,256.55
Bank: 378.79

Next

Return to Moorish Mosaic Afghan