Pine Valley Afghan

Re: Pine Valley Afghan

Postby Msgdiaz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:04 pm

I'm also working on this pattern. I'm stuck on the border. I skipped two stitches in ordet to space the 3 hdc on row 1 of the border. As a result, I have big open spaces that I don't see in the photo. Also, I'm unclear on row two of the border if the three fpdc go around the first or the middle of the three hdc on the previous row. I appreciate any help you can offer.
Msgdiaz
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Cash on hand: 0.00

Postby Lisa » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:53 am

Hello Msdiaz,

I am trying to locate a copy of this pattern booklet. Since it went through publication, they have their own editors, who often change things. So I wanted to let you know I am on this and will get you answers :)
Lisa
Absent Minded Designer
Absent Minded Designer

Cash on hand: 24,256.55
Bank: 378.79

Postby Lisa » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:59 am

Msgdiaz wrote:I'm also working on this pattern. I'm stuck on the border. I skipped two stitches in ordet to space the 3 hdc on row 1 of the border. As a result, I have big open spaces that I don't see in the photo. Also, I'm unclear on row two of the border if the three fpdc go around the first or the middle of the three hdc on the previous row. I appreciate any help you can offer.

I now have a copy of the book :)

Round 1:

I am taking that you skipped sts in order to come out with a multiple of 3, right? I have 2 suggestions for this to eliminate the holes.

1. You can put a hdc in each of these skipped sts, and then add 1 hdc to another, which will give another 3 hdc- keeping you in line with a multiple of 3 sts as required.

2. Where you skipped the sts, instead of skipping them, work a hdc2tog over 2 sts. This will cout as 1 hdc, but act as a filler for the empty stitch.

Round 2:
I can definitely see why this is confusing! I am not sure what happened but somewhere in the process of them tech editing it looks like some things were iadvertently edited.

I am going to write the line as it is in the pattern book, then I am going to rewrite it as I see it. Now that I wrote this directly from the book, completely disregard it. I think they wrote the wrong line in there, or copy edited it from somewhere else, as it makes no sense to me. When I compare to my testing version, you work into hdc from Rnd 1.

DISREGARD Rnd 2 Of Border in BOOK
Rnd 2: Sl st in next st, ch 1, 5-fpdc cable around same st (corner), sk st behind 5-fpdc cable, *sk next st, 3-fpdc cable around next st, sk st behind 3-fpdc cable, [sk next 2 sts, 3 fpdc cable around next st, sk st behind 3-fpdc cable] across to 1 st before next corner**, sk next 2 sts, 5-fpdc cable around center st of 3-fpdc cable, sk next st, rep from * around, ending last rep at **, sk last st, join in beg fpdc.

Rnd 2: CORRECTED (My verison as I believe it should be)
Rnd 2: Sl st in next hdc (center of 3-hdc group), ch 1 (make ch height of a hdc; now and throughout), 5-fpdc cable around same hdc, sk next hdc, *sk next hdc, 3-fpdc cable around next hdc, [sk next 2 hdc, 3fpdc-HB around next hdc] across until last hdc before next 3-hdc corner group**, sk next 2 hdc, 5-fpdc cable around next hdc (center hdc of corner), sk next hdc, rep from * 3 times ending last rep at **; sk last hdc, join with sl st in first fpdc.

You will start off with a 5-fpdc cable around the center hdc of the 3-hdc group at corner. (This is why you start off slip stitching to next st, to position yourself at the center of that corner).

Please let me know how this is. I will also alert Annie's Attic of a technical error in this round of the border.

I would also like to add, unfortunately when a book goes through publishing, so many people are handling the text, the layout etc. Sometimes unfortunately errors like this do happen despite the best intentions, and I know how frustrating it can be. It is quite frustrating for me as well, as I know the publishers try their hardest to edit everything the best they can, but it will ultimately fall upon me as a designer. I am so sorry this happened, and hopefully, there are no other errors in the book.
Lisa
Absent Minded Designer
Absent Minded Designer

Cash on hand: 24,256.55
Bank: 378.79

Previous

Return to Lisa's New & Easy Cable Afghans