Help on reading the pattern

Help on reading the pattern

Postby leighc » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:44 am

Hi all,
New to reading lace crochet patterns. Have been knitting for a long time, but just getting back into crocheting and am enjoying the hook. However, I feel really dumb, but I'm having a difficult time reading the pattern for this shawl. On the very first Row 1 (yikes, I'm really dumb, sorry), I see that you chain 2, then do the ch4lp listed in the Stitches glossary above, turn, then what does it mean after the turn -- the 1 ch-4 sp in bold letters? And then on every row after that, are the instructions in bold type what you do, or is that the short summary of what you just did? I see that this is on every row, so I do need some help. Sorry that this is so basic. Thanks for whatever help you can give to a struggling lace crochet newbie.
leighc
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Cash on hand: 11.78

Re: Help on reading the pattern

Postby Brandy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:55 pm

Hi leigh... the 1 ch-4 sp in bold letters at the end of the row is the stitch count or short summary for that row. It will be at the end of each row to help you know that you have done the row correctly. So as you complete the row, use the stitch count to count what you have done and if the 2 counts match then you are good to go for that row and you can continue on. And you are definately not dumb... I can remember not knowing what it was either :)
Brandy

Cash on hand: 1,240.10
Bank: 6,021.00

Postby leighc » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:22 pm

Brandy,
thank you so much@!!! Just what I needed to know. I appreciate that you took the time to answer. Now, on to the pattern! Looking forward to getting started in earnest now.
leighc
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Cash on hand: 11.78

Postby Brandy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:13 am

Happy to help!! It is a beautiful finished piece... you will be very happy with it! be sure to post a picture for us to see when you are finished... we love to see what people have done :)
Brandy

Cash on hand: 1,240.10
Bank: 6,021.00

Return to Maia Shawl