Help with understanding thread sizes

For questions and support for patterns that are not specific to a particular pattern. Also, announcements, tips, Crochet Garden style, etc listed.

Help with understanding thread sizes

Postby Jeanette R » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:35 pm

Hi there, I am looking at making either the Charlotte Belle or Dixie Belle dresses but I have no idea what the size of thread is. I am in Australia and the thread size on the pattern is not familiar to me. I inherited some beautiful crochet cottons that I would like to use for one of these dresses. I think it is about the same as a size 10 cotton. So I would love some assistance to gauge what dress size to crochet these dresses in to get say a 3mth or 6mth size finished article. I have 8 balls 50g each of a Coral colour and 1 ball 100g of a Cream colour I have previously crocheted the Celestial Christening Gown using a similar sized cotton. I made the 3mth size but I can't remember how much cotton I used. It turned out beautifully by the way, so pleased with it and lots of lovely compliments received.
Thank you for any assistance you can offer me. Regards, Jeanette R
Jeanette R
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Cash on hand: 12.05

Re: Help with understanding thread sizes

Postby sskcraftshop » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:59 am

Size 3 as I had heard would be equivalent by you holding 2 strands of size 10 together...pls check your gauge with 2 strands as the pattern calls for and if it works out fine then with 2 strands together you can work the pattern...hope this helps..I am sure if someone else here has some more ideas or suggestion they will MSG here too.
sskcraftshop

Cash on hand: 3,588.42

Postby Jeanette R » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:57 am

Oh thanks!! :) I'll give that a try and that should give me an idea of size. I haven't bought the pattern yet, I have to decide which 1 to make they are both so pretty :)
Jeanette R
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Cash on hand: 12.05

Postby sskcraftshop » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:09 am

Yes, Lisa's patterns are all amazing...I always want to do all of them even though I don't have to gift to anyone. :) all the best and let me know if it works out.
sskcraftshop

Cash on hand: 3,588.42

Return to GENERAL SUPPORT LOUNGE