Size 9-12 month Help Please

Size 9-12 month Help Please

Postby BethWM » Mon May 28, 2012 11:51 am

ok At the end of waist r3 it says you have a total of 38 sc's and 38 ch-1 sp's
Next row is section 1 body
R1 only uses a total of 23 ch-1 sp's and 23 sc's??? How are you suppose to join when so many st's are left over????
I have added it up several times and it still comes out the same.
BethWM
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Cash on hand: 10.81

Re: Size 9-12 month Help Please

Postby Lisa » Tue May 29, 2012 8:31 am

Hello Beth and thank you for writing :) I just checked this, and I can definitely see how the counting can be taken different ways. I am going to break this down step by step. Often times what is to be repeated can be confusing, especially with different authors and different styles ;). There also could be a difference in the versions being used. What version are you working from? Below, I am copying what I have from the latest version for baby which is Version 6N.

Ok, here is the Rnd as written:

9-12 mos: Sl st in first ch-1 sp, ch 1, sc in same sp, ch 1, sk next sc, sc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, sk next sc, inc in next ch-1 sp, sk next sc, *[(sc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, sk next sc) 3 times, inc in next ch-1 sp, sk next sc] 4 times*, [sc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, sk next sc] 2 times, inc in next ch-1 sp, sk next sc, rep from * to * once; join with sl st to first sc––48 sc, 48 ch-1 sps

Let's just count the ch-1 sps being used. Since the last rnd at first part of the waist ends with 38 sts, we should use 38 sts in this instruction.

I am going to break this down step by step.

Step 1 (before first asterisk):
Sl st in first ch-1 sp, ch 1, sc in same sp, ch 1, sk next sc, sc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, sk next sc, inc in next ch-1 sp, sk next sc,

This will end up using 3 ch-1 sps

Step 2
(From first asterisk to last asterisk):
*[(sc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, sk next sc) 3 times, inc in next ch-1 sp, sk next sc] 4 times*

For right now, we are going to ignore the asterisk, as they do not do anything, and are just place markers for where to work again later in the instruction. Now, working from the outside in, we know that we have brackets [ ] which we have to work whatever is inside 4 times.

Inside the brackets: (sc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, sk next sc) 3 times, inc in next ch-1 sp, sk next sc : This will end up using 4 ch-1 sps. 3 are used within the parentheses and 1 is used when you make the increase, which totals 4.

Now we know because of the brackets we have to work this instruction 4 times. Since inside the brackets uses 4 ch-1 sps each time, 4 times would end up using 16 ch-1 sps.

Step 3
(after asterisk and before repeat):
[sc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, sk next sc] 2 times, inc in next ch-1 sp, sk next sc,

This uses 3 ch-1 sps, total - 2 from inside the brackets, and one from the repeat.

Step 4
(the repeat):
rep from * to * once;

This will be a repeat of Step 2, which used 16 ch-1 sps.
Step 4: 16 ch-1 sps

= 38 ch-1 sps uses total

Please let me know if this helps :) And also let me know if you have any other questions at all :)

Lisa!
Lisa
Absent Minded Designer
Absent Minded Designer

Cash on hand: 24,256.55
Bank: 378.79

Postby BethWM » Tue May 29, 2012 8:52 am

Thank you so much, I will go give it a try now. I think I get it now :))
BethWM
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Cash on hand: 10.81

Postby Lisa » Tue May 29, 2012 9:52 am

Wonderful!! :) Let me know how it goes, and if you have any other questions.
Lisa
Absent Minded Designer
Absent Minded Designer

Cash on hand: 24,256.55
Bank: 378.79

Return to Beach Babe