Help with beginning afghan

Help with beginning afghan

Postby 64Whales » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:47 pm

I recently purchased this pattern. I think that I started it the right way but when I start the second row I seem to be having difficulty. Am I supposed to be working on the top of the row that I just finished? I have big holes. I am left-handed so does that make a difference when I turn it? Thanks for any help you can give me :?
64Whales
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Cash on hand: 5.68

Re: Help with beginning afghan

Postby Nadine » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:28 pm

after stitching across to the center chain space of the first grouping (the second chain space of the row) you will into the center chain space of each group of 3. for the body of the afghan it should not matter whether you are right or left handed.
Nadine

Cash on hand: 3,374.68
Bank: 4,213.15

Postby carolyn60 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:30 pm

The second row is worked into the middle loop of each trp-lp from Row 1, which leaves the trp-lp on either side of the trp-lp unworked. The unworked lps will fill in the spaces as you work the afghan. There shouldn't be any big holes and your stitch count should be the same as Row 1. Being left-handed shouldn't make a difference in how you work this.

Hope this makes sense. Let me know if it doesn't, and I'll try to explain it better for you. :D
Carolyn
carolyn60

Cash on hand: 7,262.89
Bank: 69.47

Postby dlb724 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:19 pm

I purchased this pattern and can't seem to get it right. I end up with a ruffly mess. Can someone help explain it to me???
dlb724
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Cash on hand: 16.05

Postby Nadine » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:14 pm

what part are you having trouble with? maybe taking a picture and posting it can help us help you.
Nadine

Cash on hand: 3,374.68
Bank: 4,213.15

Postby dlb724 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:31 pm

I do not understand how the sc, ch 3, sc, ch 3, sc, ch 3 sc all into one stitch can work. My email address is dlb724@wowway.com if that is a better way to communicate. I would really like to learn this stitch and it is really frustrating me.
dlb724
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Cash on hand: 16.05

Postby Txfeenix » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:23 am

Add me to the list of (originally) confused purchasers. I have version 6Q and excuse me for saying this but by now it should be accurate.

My pattern says nothing about having 3 ch 3 loops anywhere!!! But obviously that's how it should be. The stitch guide has a "trp-ch3lp" which isn't even mentioned in the 2 rows of the pattern (but it's obviously the cluster that should be crocheted). The 1st row say "sc, ch3, sc, ch3, sc" which does NOT create a "middle" ch3 loop to crochet the 2nd row stitches into and is referenced as a "trp-lp" which isn't in the stitch guide. The 2nd row say do "trp-lp" across in "center ch3 space" which I've already mentioned doesn't exist in row 1 as written.

Row 1 shld be trp-ch3lp in every 5th chain (of foundation ch).
Row 2 shld be trp-ch3lp in every middle ch3 loop of each trp-ch3lp in previous row.

Hope this helps current and future purchasers. Kinda sucks that I paid for a pattern that I had to figure out myself.
Txfeenix
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Cash on hand: 6.75

Postby Lisa » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:41 am

Txfeenix wrote:Add me to the list of (originally) confused purchasers. I have version 6Q and excuse me for saying this but by now it should be accurate.

You are most correct in that should be accurate. All patterns should be even from the onset! I am so sorry you had troubles! I definitely strive to make things as clear as possible. Hopefully I can help explain things a little below :) Again I am terribly sorry for any frustration on your part! This pattern has been updated (notnecessarily with errors) but also with photos, terminology, etc., to make sure things are as updated as possible to all the current terms.

My pattern says nothing about having 3 ch 3 loops anywhere!!! But obviously that's how it should be.The stitch guide has a "trp-ch3lp" which isn't even mentioned in the 2 rows of the pattern (but it's obviously the cluster that should be crocheted).

I DO see there is an error in that where is says in the st definition, trp-ch3lp and in the instructions, it is referred to as a trp-lp (eep!). That is a typo in the st instruction and the stitch instruction label should say trp-lp. It looks like that was not in previous versions, and in the update to the stitch definitions, that inadvertently got changed. I am terrible sorry for that and will be making a post and getting that corrected.

The 1st row say "sc, ch3, sc, ch3, sc" which does NOT create a "middle" ch3 loop to crochet the 2nd row stitches into and is referenced as a "trp-lp" which isn't in the stitch guide. The 2nd row say do "trp-lp" across in "center ch3 space" which I've already mentioned doesn't exist in row 1 as written.

Actually, I think this row is correct as written (taking into consideration changing the Stitch instruction Guide to say Trp-lp instead of trp-ch3lp). Though you only see ch 3 two times in the initial instruction of Row 1, you are working into the 5th ch from hook. That first ch-5 counts as a sc and ch-3, so it does make the "first" loop. This works as written :) Please let me know if this does not make sense or need more help :) I am thinking of updating this with a photo! I appreciate you writing this as it helps me see where people can be confused.

Row 1 shld be trp-ch3lp in every 5th chain (of foundation ch).

As written it works, and I think the way you wrote it is the same, as the instructions: *sk next 4 ch, trp-lp (see Stitches) in next ch. This is essentially the way you are saying it to work a trp-ch3lp in ever 3rd (though again it should say trp-lp, only the label in the Stitch Guide should be changed). I love though the way you have it written- it is interesting to see what makes more sense (word-wise) to different crocheters.
Row 2 shld be trp-ch3lp in every middle ch3 loop of each trp-ch3lp in previous row.

Because from above, working in the 5th ch from hook with 2 more ch-3 sps will result in "3 holes." Because of this, we need to sl st across to the middle. If you go directly and work into the middle, it will pull on the side tight. I hope this makes sense! However, I can totally see how it can be confusing! I think I have an idea of how to make this even more clear when I update it, because I do see where you are coming from. You do want to work into the middle ch-3 sp of each trp-lp.

This is why it says, that the beginning part counts as a trp-lp: Ch 155 (235, 265), (sc, ch 3, sc, ch 3, sc) in 5th ch from hook (counts as a trp-lp),

Hope this helps current and future purchasers. Kinda sucks that I paid for a pattern that I had to figure out myself.

I am so sorry you were so frustrated with this! And I am sorry about that typo in the Stitch Guide! I suppose that in all my efforts to try and update every pattern as often as I can, that inadvertently sadly sometimes a new error crops in. I do have some ideas on how to further update it so that it is even more clear. It is also a big process for me, as naturally, my patterns are so unique, and often times I make up my own stitch combinations, that often times I find myself in new territory of the best way to write and explain patterns. I obviously failed in this one for you and again I am so sorry. I see how that one little typo caused a huge fret for you. I would like to compensate you somehow, and make things right. Please send me an email to customerservice@crochetgarden.com and if you can, please let me know your order number.

I truly want to make things right and show how much I care about my patterns. When I see someone this frustrated, it makes me work even harder to make sure it does not happen again!! And also, at anytime you are having troubles, please email me or come here. I am always here to help!
Lisa
Absent Minded Designer
Absent Minded Designer

Cash on hand: 24,256.55
Bank: 378.79

Return to Afghan Of The Sandman