Pine Valley Afghan

Pine Valley Afghan

Postby MLyle » Wed May 19, 2010 8:48 pm

I am totally baffled by the instructions for this afghan in "Cable Afghans and throws." At the very beginning, Row 2, when you get to the 5-fpdc cable around next st, does that mean to make 5 fpdc cable stitches around the one post in the row below? I've found several tutorials on the net for cable stitches, none seem to be quite like what's called for in this afghan. Is there a book on just the cable stitches called for in these patterns? I want to make this afghan for my grandson, who is being married in September. Please help!
MLyle
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Cash on hand: 3.40

Re: Pine Valley Afghan

Postby Nadine » Wed May 19, 2010 9:57 pm

you are correct. the 5 fpdc are all worked around the same post of the stitch of the previos row. i hope that helps a bit. please post if you have any other questions. congratulations on your grandsons upcoming nuptials.
Nadine

Cash on hand: 3,374.68
Bank: 4,213.15

Postby MLyle » Thu May 20, 2010 7:39 am

Thanks, Nadine, for a speedy reply! At least I know that I can interpret that instruction OK. My hook is in the yarn, so will muddle along to see if I can figure out the rest. Still wish there was a cable book that gave more detail about Lisa's technique. Or some online pictures?

Martha
MLyle
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Postby Nadine » Thu May 20, 2010 7:43 am

just take it one stitch at a time. i will check the board throughout the day. have a great day!
Nadine

Postby MLyle » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:41 pm

My Pine Valley afghan is coming along great! As Lisa says, "Where there's a will, there's a way." What seemed so difficult when I started now seems easy! I do have one other question, though. I'm making the 47 3/4 in x desired length afghan. I ordered 17 balls of Bernat Satin as listed on the instructions. This amount must have been based on some specific length. I need to know when to stop so as to have enough yarn for the border. Hope someone can help!

Martha
MLyle
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Postby Nadine » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:27 pm

Martha,

I am so glad to hear your afghan is coming along nicely! I will get you an aswer once I speak wit Lisa in the morning. I am so sorry that I am not able to give you a speedy answer tonight.
Nadine

Postby Nadine » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:31 am

Martha,

The afghan size of the Pine Valley is worked to 52 inches, ending on a Row 4, before starting the edging.
Nadine

Postby MLyle » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:40 am

So I think that it would be about 56 inches after the border is worked. I'd hardly consider that an afghan! I guess this pattern uses so much yarn, that it would turn people off if they had to purchase more than 17 balls of yarn to make a real afghan! And that's probably why the directions were vague about the length. I'm disappointed. I think it would have been more honest to just tell buyers of the patterns that the cable design uses much more yarn that average.

I do appreciate your response.

Martha Lyle
MLyle
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Postby Brandy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:55 am

I made this one and it is wonderful! I use it every night. While it is not big enough to go on a bed as a bedspread it is a great size for one person to use.
Brandy

Cash on hand: 1,240.10
Bank: 6,021.00

Postby Lisa » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:36 am

MLyle wrote:My Pine Valley afghan is coming along great! As Lisa says, "Where there's a will, there's a way." What seemed so difficult when I started now seems easy! I do have one other question, though. I'm making the 47 3/4 in x desired length afghan. I ordered 17 balls of Bernat Satin as listed on the instructions. This amount must have been based on some specific length. I need to know when to stop so as to have enough yarn for the border. Hope someone can help!

Martha

I really though when the book went into printing, that they were going to have some diagrams how to perform the stitches. I quickly learned though each step of the publication process, is not always what will be in the final end. I think I am going to put up a tutorial and some diagrams and such when I put up the leaflet PDF format for sale on the website :) I think there is only so much room they have to deal with, and sometimes, things like this get axed.. but I think getting some diagrams when I have the rights revert to me will be quite helpful :) I am so glad you did not give up!!
Lisa
Absent Minded Designer
Absent Minded Designer

Cash on hand: 24,256.55
Bank: 378.79

Next

Return to Lisa's New & Easy Cable Afghans